Skip to main content

Department of Transportation Services

Department of Transportation Services - Parked White Vans at a Warehouse on a Sunny Day

Home » Department of Transportation Services

Community Multi services offers a wide variety of DOT services.

DOT Number:

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires all businesses to obtain a USDOT number prior to starting a commercial transportation business. A USDOT number (DOT number) is a unique identification number that allows for instant access to a company’s safety information.

DOT numbers are required in specific states for certain business types. A DOT number is required for the following:

  • Retains a gross vehicle weight, combination weight, vehicle weight rating, or gross combination weight rating, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) whichever is greater.
  • It is constructed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (driver included) for compensation.
  • It is constructed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, drivers included, and not used to transport passengers for compensation.
  • Used to haul the types and quantities of hazardous materials requiring a safety permit in intrastate commerce (see 49 CFR 385.403).

Additionally, you need a USDOT number if your vehicle is used for traffic, trade, or transport in the US:

  • Such as, within two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States.
  • Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States.
  • Within two places in a State as part of a trade, traffic, or transportation starting from or ending outside the State or the United States.

MC Number (previously known as an ICC)

Is specifically designed for identifying a carrier or company that:

  • Transports regulated items from another ownership or arranging their transport (for a fee or other compensation, in interstate commerce)
  • Transports Passengers in Interstate commerce (for a fee or other compensation, albeit direct or indirect compensation).
  • In order for a carrier to operate within interstate traffic, they must have both an MC number and a USDOT number.


The BOC-3 (Designation of Agents for Service of Process) is one of the requirements to secure operating authority and maintain an active interstate operating status. In fact, all truckers for hire, brokers, or freight forwarders must have a BOC-3 form filed with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) before their Authority will be issued.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR):

The UCR replaces the single state registration system. All motor carriers and other businesses involved with interstate commerce must submit annual fees based on fleet size. This is in order to supplement funding for state highway motor carrier registration and safety programs. The registration should be in the participating state.

All carriers such as private, for-hire or exempt carriers must register. This also includes:

  • Broker
  • Freight Forwarder
  • Leasing Company

Dot Updates:

When your records change, such as name and/or number, you are required to update the USDOT Number.

Update requirements include:

  • Biennial Updates. These are required every two years regardless of any changed information or have ceased interstate operations since your last update.
  • Inactivation, deactivation, and reactivation.

Your deadline for your update is included in your USDOT Number. Please fill out the appropriate forms before beginning any and all operations. If your USDOT Number ends in 1, you must file by January, 2 by February, 3 by March, 4 by April, 5 by May, 6 by June, 7 by July, 8 by August, 9 by September, and 0 by October.

If the second to last digit of your USDOT Number is Odd, you are required to file updates in every odd-numbered year. Thus, even numbers are required to be updated in every even-numbered year.

If your regulated entity changes its name, address, or any other details.

Get Started Today

We’re here to help you explore your options.

Request Information

Contact Community Multi Services

Our Adelphi, MD Office

7411 Riggs Road, Suite 228
Adelphi, MD 20783

Our Glen Burnie, MD Office

7432 E Furnace Branch Road,
Glen Burnie, MD 21061

Let’s Get Started

  1. Step 1Fill out the form.
  2. Step 2Review your options with us.
  3. Step 3Get the coverage you need.

Department of Transportation Services Information Request

Don’t like forms? Contact us at 301-779-1100 or Email Us.